Monday 30 March 2009

017. Question of morals


Even though I know that this 'discussion' will lead nowhere. Here are my 2 cents worth. 
(Considering this discussion have been going on for years and years long already, almost like the topic of abortion or if the question if God exists ... would we ever come to an agreement?)

Though there is certainly hope, I know for a fact that I am definitely a Pro-Choice. But we can discuss that some other time. :)
And about religion, I know I am a Buddhist by heart though I rather like to believe in a divine being. I call it Faith. It is what carries me through when everything seems to be crushing down on me. But thats enough about my religious nature. And for this matter as well, I too have my own 'preference'

But I cannot help but wonder, while reading the Medicines and Drugs Option for Chemchem. This and that somehow in some strange way relate. :)
Anyways, a couple of days ago I stumbled upon this while blog hopping
I think this is a certainly one of those things one should perhaps watch. 

Since I have yet to be able to learn to embed on Blogspot, you would just have to click here.
Its so heartfelt and you could almost just feel like your listening to her and not over Youtube or anything.
*There are countless more on the Internet I am sure, of video's like this, or against Euthanasia for that matter.
**Question : Why does it happen then when I copy and paste on Blogger, my paste seems too end up at the bottom of the page. Am I suppose to edit the html before embedding?

Incase you cannot be bothered to click on that link, it was a dying cancer patient Angelique dying letter to the Prime Minister of Australia to legalize an act? of euthanasia. 
Euthanasia and I quote
Euthanasia is the deliberate killing of a person for the benefit of that person.
In most cases euthanasia is carried out because the person who dies asks for it, but there are cases called euthanasia where a person can't make such a request.
A person who undergoes euthanasia is usually terminally ill, but there are other situations in which some people want euthanasia.
So, the ever infamous question here is. Should a person be allowed to end ones life, if severe suffering is the question. Of course it is easier said now that I am on the other side of the spectra. This are life choices I am making when I am healthy and able bodied. I am sure, it is so much more difficult if I was the one needing to face this decision.

I think I can skip the discussion as to why one should or should not do it. There are about 120948 pages on Google about people discussing this. This are some good sites if you do want to read more.

Website AGAINTS Euthanasia (very good site, made me rethink some things)

But here are my other 2 cents worth. The way Angelique puts it. You can almost somehow feel the pain that she is really going through and its almost unfair to say this, but maybe the best way to end all this is by putting an end to it. And do not get me wrong, I value life. Living is really an amazing feeling.

I personally would have wanted to end all the pain myself. If living is becoming unbearable as like she puts it (again,I know we are not on the other side) but when one is in constant pain and sleeping,eating,breathing,talking is becoming like a torture. 
Really, is it worth putting them under such scrutiny?. I myself can almost not bare the pain of the migraines I have, but I know that it would all go away sometime.And I think that is one determining factor, my headache, goes away. This on the other hand, will probably not. If your a female, then I suppose you could ask yourself, how many times have you wished that all this pain could just end when your having your PMS. Then again, you have Ibux to cure that. What if you did not? What if its everyday, and about 1000 times worse.

Another thing is, it is not usually about the pain in most cases, but I think the lost of mobility and independence that makes things worse. Being put in a diaper and needing to be cared and carried for at all times, is not something anyone would like. If a brain dead person, gets to end their life by the choice of SOMEONE else. Why can't a normal living, breathing person make that choice themselves too? Shouldn't one like Angelique puts it, be allowed to at least have a pain free leave.

Then there is the question of believes. You know where I stand on this. I do not think religion should make choices like this for me. Then again, I am not religious. But this is a whole other matter to me I think.

There are about another 1000 reasons why one should or should not do this, from the competence of the sufferer (?) to the fact that, taking ones life is the 'easy way out' and there might be a chance or hope that medical and science is able to change that.

I think I should stop now, not that I do not have more to say, but I think the whole idea is just making me sad. :(
Its never easy when one talks about one's life. And this time, literally, life. 

** Interesting fact from BBC :It's not euthanasia to give a drug in order to reduce pain, even though the drug causes the patient to die sooner. This is because the doctor's intention was to relieve the pain, not to kill the patient 
*** Slightly disturbing facts while I was doing my reading. The machine that allows you to take your life away. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails